Pages

130 - Life is like walking on ice


When I was back in Malaysia, I went skating. It was one of my very last or "second last" weeks of my stay there and obviously I've been ranting on about wanting to go skating. Rachael was so kind to follow me (♥) Not only kind but a friend I've always knew and trusted. And that day, I noticed how much life can be portrayed in the activities that we do. Be it roller blading, bunjee jumping, basketballing or whatever it is. It doesn't even have to be a sport!

Everyone is never good at something they've never tried. No one knows how to draw like a professional the first time they pick up a pencil. Talents have to be nurtured. Skills have to be trained. Maths has to be practiced!(eventhough I do not practice) But you get the point.

I've never been skating. My first time was when I was about 9 years old. Oh, trust me..I wasn't good at it at all. Neither was my father. But we went in the ring together. We fell together and that was exactly what happened on the day I went skating with Rach.

As we stood at the ring entrance I started to back out. NO WAY I AM GOING ON THAT PIECE OF ICE MAN! I'M GONNA FALL DOWN RIGHT AWAY. But Rachael dragged me in and we both started with the railing..like all beginners do. I was slowly creeping behind whilst she moved a little faster than me. Then, she attempted to go without the railing and of course I was offered as well. When I was standing there calling out..."Rachaaaeeeel! Wait for meeee!" or "NOOO! I don't wantttt to do itt"..she somehow says it's okay. And who knows 5 minutes later we're both holding hands and trying to skate. Learning the art of skating. Learning to walk on ice. At first we were both falling. I fell more than her of course. But we kept going eventhough our ankles were sore. And everytime one of us fell, the other would wait for her. After awhile we were getting a hang of it. There was less falling down, more skating, more moving. Until suddenly, I fell down and hit my head. And the bump is still here...a month later. I still recall Rachael asking me, "so you still wanna skate next time?"

So how did that explain how life is? It very clealy does and I was amazed when I notice how little things can explain so much. It's like a story of friendship and life. Life is like walking on ice. Any moment, you could fall and any moment the ice could break. Any moment you could break down and any moment you could die. But if you have someone by your side holding your hand and encouraging you to keep going, you will keep going. That someone who would wait for you even when the ice is melting. Someone who would pick you up when you fall.

At one point, I was so tired. I was so tired that I told Rachael.." I GIVE UP!" and I was sitting there on the icy floor after I fell down on an attempt. She didn't let me..She forced me to get up! After that, we stood resting for a few minutes and attempted again. There are times when you feel like giving up. But maybe you just need a rest. And after some sleep you will regain your energy to move on in life.

After all the falls, you will learn not to let yourself fall and that is what makes you stronger in your walk because you know the trails. You know the moves.
Sometimes, when you think you have mastered it..accidents happen. You fall down really hard. So hard that you have to get up and go out of the ring. So hard that you are temporarily unconcious. But if you chose the right someone, he/she will always be there even when you fall. She will tend your wounds. Sit by your side. Even if it means one hour of sitting down and holding an ice block on your head.

Some people choose not to go back. Because of the tragedy, they are scared and phobic. But how will you continue walking if you give up? Because you have no courage you will not learn about life. So that's when you have to answer..and just like what I said to Rachael

"DEFINITELY. NEXT TIME I COME BACK WE'RE GOING TO SKATE AGAIN. AND THIS TIME I WILL NOT FALL!"

No comments:

Post a Comment